I do art to record what I love, what I want to remember, and what I want to share.
I believe happy art can transplant the viewer into that same mind space so, my work explores subjects that evoke happiness. Few things do so as much as animals. I mostly paint dogs for the people who love them and for those who don’t know they do yet.
My art is meant to connect you to the animal in the painting. To fill you with a sense of familiarity and nostalgia even though you’ve never met. I strive to, with the use of colour and thoughtful composition, relate their unique energy. The variety of brushstrokes in my work, ranging from swift and playful to soft and intentional help me describe their distinct personality.
My mission is to share love by surrounding people with paintings of happiness; whether they be of the comfortable old pooch or the comfortable old couch. I treasure the wagging tail, the whole-body-welcome-wiggle and the excited walkie’s-time-dance. Dogs speak to my soul and the connection I feel to them is made out of caring.
Attaining happiness is a global pursuit and I am doing so one (dog) painting at a time.
Carolyne Buchanan | Carleton Place, ON
Ottawa School of Art — Currently pursuing a Fine Arts Diploma
- 2019 – “Dog Days of Summer” at Sarah Moffatt Art Studio, Carleton Place, ON*
- 2019 – “A Walk in Central Park” at Surrounding Memories Art Gallery, Carleton Place, ON
- 2018 – “Spring Fine Arts Show and Sale – Arts Carleton Place” at Carleton Place Canoe Club, Carleton Place, ON
- 2019 -Carleton Place BIA Office, Carleton Place, ON
- 2019 – Smiles Dentistry, Carleton Place, ON
- 2020 – Under Pressure Coffee Shop, Carleton Place, ON
- 2020 – Amy Licari RMT, Ottawa, ON
Affiliations & Memberships
Arts Carleton Place, Board Member, Joined 2017
Certificates and Donations
- 2020 – Certificate of Appreciation, Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign
- 2019 – Donation of Customized pet portrait, Center for Sexual Assault and Childhood Trauma
*In the Summer of 2019, I organized and executed a very successful fundraising campaign/show called the Dog Days of Summer. A quarter of the proceeds were donated to dog rescue organizations in the area including Sit With Me Dog Rescue and Smitty’s Dog Rescue.